The Invisalign® clear aligner system is an alternative to traditional braces for orthodontic treatment. It is a convenient, safe and comfortable way to straighten teeth. As they are almost invisible and unnoticeable people who are hesitant about wearing braces usually prefer them.
Invisalign® consists of series of custom-made clear aligners designed and manufactured by The Align Technology according to your orthodontist’s treatment plan. Every time you change, they gently shift your teeth into a more desired and favorable position as planned. These aligners have no metal brackets or wires and can be removed when eating, brushing, flossing etc.
As the world’s leading clear aligner company, Align Technology continuously innovate and develop their products. For the past few years 3 “Smart” treatment technologies have been introduced:
- Smart Track is the new clear aligner material. This material is more flexible and engages all contours of the teeth.
- Smart Staging provides great tooth movement control such as root movement. This feature enables the doctor to correct challenging cases that require extraction with Invisalign®.
- Smart Force provides precise tooth movement through a combination of Optimized Attachments.
With the latest G8 technology, Invisalign® can now control the roots of the molars and premolars during dental arch expansion.
These features developed by Align Technology will facilitate the correction of challenging orthodontic problems.
What are the benefits of Invisalign® clear aligners?
- Today Invisalign® are easily accepted by orthodontic patients as they are invisible
- It is easy to clean teeth and help maintain oral hygiene
- They are removable
- The system requires fewer visits to the dentist
- The patients can enjoy all type of food with no restrictions
Will Invisalign® fit my lifestyle?
- You can take out your aligners to eat or drink whenever you want.
- You can remove your aligners, so you can brush and floss regularly, and keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- You can occasionally remove your aligners and enjoy a special night out.
- There is no need to change a thing. Continue your day-to-day activities while still straightening your teeth.
- Since they are clear, you don’t have to hide your smile while going through treatment.
- With Invisalign® treatment, it’s easy to make your smile picture perfect for that special occasion.
Are there limitations of Invisalign® treatments?
With the latest innovations of the Invisalign® technique, correction of many challenging orthodontic malocclusions such as skeletal open bite, underbite or deep bite is now possible. Today majority of the orthodontic cases could be treated using clear aligners alone. The scope of orthodontic treatments expands with the use of auxiliaries such as orthodontic mini implants or certain components of fixed braces like brackets or buttons.
How do Invisalign® work?
The first step of the orthodontic treatment with Invisalign® is a consultation with your orthodontist. Your records will be taken for an accurate treatment plan. Typically, these records are photos, X rays and your oral scans. After the treatment plan, your doctor will submit your case to Align Technology website and order your aligners.
After your clear aligners are manufactured and delivered your doctor will call you for the first appointment to start your treatment.
During your treatment, you’ll visit your doctor every 4 to 8 weeks for a regular check-up and necessary adjustments. In some cases, additional aligners may need to be ordered free of charge to refine your treatment result.
At the end of the active phase of your Invisalign® treatment, you will have retainers to maintain the alignments of your teeth.
Can children also benefit from Invisalign® treatment?
Yes! Invisalign® is a good treatment option for children and teens as well as adults. Even young children with primary teeth can have orthodontic treatment using Invisalign®. The only condition is the aligners should be worn a minimum of 20 hours a day.
How long does the Invisalign® treatment take?
Invisalign® is a great orthodontic tool to straighten teeth. It’s easy, comfortable and effective. When it comes to the time of the treatment it really depends on a few factors such as the complexity of the orthodontic problem, the state of the oral hygiene, age and the cooperation and discipline of the patient.
Orthodontic tooth movement depends on the biological response of the periodontal structures around the tooth and the bone. Certain factors such as age, certain diseases or medications affecting the biological response may affect the time of the treatment. The average duration of treatment with Invisalign® is between 6 to 12 months however, certain complex treatments requiring more care usually need more time.
For optimum tooth movement, continuous force application is needed. Thus, the aligners should be worn a minimum of 20 hours a day for the tooth movement to be effective. As an added information, treatment time is relatively short as the aligners can move several teeth at the same time.
How much does Invisalign® treatment cost?
Invisalign® treatment has three main options depending on the complexity of the case. These are:
- Express: 7 aligners are provided
- Light: Up to 14 aligners are provided
- Full: Unlimited aligners are provided for 5 years.
The price will vary according to which option suits your treatment.