When most people think of going to the dentist, they think of routine cleanings and taking care of any developing cavities. However, a smile is worth a thousand words and many people turn to cosmetic dentistry to enhance their smile’s appearance.
Let’s take a look at what cosmetic dentistry can do for you.
What is the difference between a dentist and a cosmetic dentist?
Cosmetic dentistry is a collection of services specifically dedicated to improving the appearance of your smile. A general dentist will make sure your teeth are healthy and strong, while a cosmetic dentist ensures your smile is “camera ready.” Additionally, a cosmetic dentist will have extra training specifically dedicated to cosmetic dentistry.
How is cosmetic dentistry different from traditional dentistry?
Traditional dentistry is designed to make sure your teeth are healthy and strong. A general dentist is primarily concerned with the health of your teeth. They also educate their patients on how to properly care for their teeth and gums to promote long-lasting dental health.
Examples of procedures done by general dentists include:
- Regular checkups
- Tooth cleaning
- Filling cavities
- Root canals
A cosmetic dentist is interested in helping patients improve their smiles. These professionals take additional courses focused on cosmetic dentistry to perform specific procedures that help patients enjoy a healthier, more attractive smile.
A cosmetic dental treatment starts by focusing on the esthetic look of the teeth and smile. First and foremost, cosmetic dentists consider esthetics, followed by the bite and biology. A general dentist usually considers correction of the integrity of the biological structures (teeth and bite). A cosmetic dentist uses a mock-up, a temporary restoration, to demonstrate how the patient’s smile will look after their permanent restoration. The same is made using special digital software, called Digital Smile Design DSD). Cosmetic dental procedures are great for the patients to understand how the smile will be following cosmetic work.
How can cosmetic dentistry improve your smile?
Cosmetic dentistry treatments are designed to improve and enhance your smile, while simultaneously improving your self-esteem. Cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile through a variety of procedures, including:
- Tooth-colored fillings comprised of resin, rather than metal. These fillings can be customized to match the exact shade of your teeth, ensuring your fillings look as natural as your teeth.
- Porcelain veneers are very thin ceramic coverings your dentist will bond to the front of your teeth. These veneers can correct a variety of imperfections including chips, stains, gaps, cracks, and even slightly misaligned teeth.
- Teeth whitening is designed to correct teeth stains that naturally occur as we age. A cosmetic dentist can prescribe an at-home whitening kit that’s more reliable and potent than over-the-counter solutions. In fact, kits prescribed by a cosmetic dentist can make your teeth up to 8 shades lighter.
- Ceramic restorations are crowns that can be shaped and shaded to perfectly match your natural tooth. These can be used to cover large cavities or root canals.
- Bonding can improve how your teeth look, including those that are chipped, stained, broken, or cracked. Bonding involves using filling material to fix a tooth, shape it and make it blend in with your other teeth.
- Invisalign uses a series of custom-made plastic aligner trays to straighten your teeth, opposed to metal braces. Practically invisible, Invisalign allows you to get straight teeth without the daily struggle of wires and brackets.
- Enamel shaping and contouring involves removing or contouring dental enamel to improve the appearance of your teeth. Your cosmetic dentist may combine this process with bonding and can correct overlapping teeth, irregular or chipped teeth, or minor bite problems.
- Implants involve an extensive cosmetic dental procedure to replace missing teeth. Comprised of three pieces, including titanium metal (which fuses to the jawbone), an abutment (which fits over the part of the implant that sticks out of the gums), and the crown (which replaces the missing tooth).
Dr. Tosun Cosmetic Dentistry
At Dr. Tosun Dental Clinic, we strive to help our patients maintain their dental health and enhance their smiles by creating a safe and comfortable environment for their dental cleanings and cosmetic dental procedures. Our experienced team of dentists and cosmetic dentist professionals leverages our experience with the latest dental practices to help create beautiful smiles. If you are interested in learning more about dental implants, we’d love to help.
Contact a member of our team to learn more.